Rural Transportation Options
If you are a senior citizen or an adult living with a physical disability in rural Ottawa, there are many options available to help you travel to, from, or within the West Carleton-March community.
- Rural Community Support Services: Our agencies (Western Ottawa Community Resource Centre, Rural Ottawa South Support Services and Eastern Ottawa Resource Centre) are partnering together to provide enhanced transportation options to locations within the City and nearby communities. Seniors and adults with a physical disability who do not require a wheelchair can arrange for rides to scheduled appointments via our passenger vans or with volunteers using their own vehicle. Wheelchair accessible transportation can be arranged for travel from one rural area to another rural area. Escort support can be provided for persons requiring assistance with stairs or elevators at their destination. Reservations can be made in advance and clients are asked to pay parking and mileage costs. Financial assistance may be available to those who require it, if resources permit. Contact each agency directly to arrange transportation and/or discuss availability of financial assistance.
- Para Transpo: Para Transpo is a door-to-door transportation service for persons with permanent or short-term disabilities. For rural residents, service is available only between rural and urban destinations in the City of Ottawa. For travel from one rural area to another rural area, contact your local Community Support Service agency. To access Para Transpo services, complete a registration form available from Para Transpo or online at www.octranspo.com. Contact Para Transpo for additional details.
- Taxi Coupon Program: The Taxi Coupon Program allows registered Para Transpo customers to take discounted taxi service as an alternative to Para Transpo. Trips can be booked with participating Ottawa taxi companies for travel to locations within Ottawa and neighbouring communities. Coupon books can be ordered by phone at 613-842-3670 (TTY 613-244-4833) or online at www.octranspo.com. Phone numbers for all participating taxi companies are found in the coupon books.
- Free Weekly Rural Shoppers’ Bus: OC Transpo has five routes that provide free once-a-week service from rural communities to urban shopping destinations. For West Carleton-March it is route #203, which services Dunrobin and Carp. In January 2012 OC Transpo introduced this FREE to ride Wednesday-only fully accessible bus that provides Ward 5 residents with a convenient way to get into town for shopping, doctor’s appointments, etc. The bus travels from Dunrobin and Carp to Stittsville, Kanata Centrum, Bayshore, Lincoln Fields and Carlingwood shopping centres. On the afternoon return trip it visits the same stops in reverse order. For more information go to www.octranspo.com or call OC Transpo at 613-741-4390.
Good Food Market continues in Constance Bay
This summer Good Food Markets is being held at the Constance Bay Community Centre (262 Len Purcell Drive). This is a non-profit community market that sells a variety of high quality fruits, vegetables and dried goods at great value. Three markets have already been held and all were a huge success. The markets are open to everybody and the remaining dates are noted below:
- Saturday, August 16, 10am-2pm
- Saturday, August 30, 10am-2pm
Savour Ottawa’s Harvest Table
Join Ottawa farmers and chefs in a celebration of local food and culinary talent. Savour Ottawa is hosting its fourth annual Harvest Table at the Ottawa Farmers’ Market at Brewer Park on Sunday, August 17. Celebrate the harvest with a family-style luncheon prepared by local chefs with local ingredients. Tickets are on sale now! For more information visit www.savourottawa.ca.