ARAC meeting location changed
A change has been made to the location of the Agricultural and Rural Affairs Committee meetings. Effective starting on March 5, all regular ARAC meetings will be held in the Council Chambers at Ben Franklin Place, 101 Centrepointe Drive and will begin at 10am. As well, ARAC will still be able to hold special meetings off-site as deemed necessary by the Committee Chair. Moving the meetings to Ben Franklin Place is ideal as parking is free, and it’s a central location making it easier for all rural residents to attend. To view the ARAC agendas and scheduled meetings for 2015, please go to ottawa.ca.
Congratulations to Chief Pingitore
I am very pleased that Ward 5’s very own Gerry Pingitore has been appointed Chief of the Ottawa Fire Services. With over 37 years of experience, Gerry brings with him an extensive background and tremendous knowledge. I have worked closely with Gerry over the years and have seen firsthand his dedication to serving our city. Congratulations Chief Pingitore!
Peoples’ Choice Business Awards
On February 26, the West Ottawa Board of Trade held their 16th Annual Peoples’ Choice Business Awards. It was a great evening where several West Carleton-March businesses were honoured. Congratulations to the following Ward 5 area award recipients:
- Community Support/Non-Profit Organization of the Year – Dave Smith Youth Treatment Centre
- Tourism Business of the Year – Diefenbunker Museum
- Retail Business of the Year – Sobeys in Stittsville (which serves West Carleton & Goulbourn)
- Restaurant of the Year – The Cheshire Cat
- Health & Wellness Business of the Year – Yoga & Tea Studio
- New Business of the Year – Quitters Coffee (which serves West Carleton & Goulbourn)
- Small Business of the Year – The Herb Garden
Ottawa Architectural Conservation Awards
At the recent Ottawa Architectural Conservation Awards event, three Ward 5 locales were honoured as noted below. It’s great to see some ‘gems’ of West Carleton being recognized – a job well done!
- Carp Village Café & Apartments received an Award of Excellence-Infill
- Gourlay Ruins received an Award of Excellence-Other
- The ruins of Old St. Mary’s Anglican Church & Cemetery presented with a heritage designation plaque