Residents are in need year-round
Thank you to everyone who donated to my Ward 5 Christmas food hamper for the West Carleton Food Access Centre. Residents came through in a big way and showed their generosity once again, and we managed to collect a lot of items. Thank you for supporting the less fortunate in our community!
I think it’s important to remember that the West Carleton Food Access Centre is in need of donation items year-round, not just during the holidays. Please consider donating throughout the year. The Access Centre is always in need of items such as:
- canned food (fish, meat, vegetables, fruit, soup)
- dry pasta, sauces, peanut butter, rice, snacks, soup, cereals, juice (boxes or cans)
- baby diapers, infant formula, household products, hygiene products
The Access Centre recently moved and are now located at the West Carleton Community Complex at 5670 Carp Road.
New Year’s Day schedule changes
As a reminder, there will be no green bin, recycling, garbage collection on New Year’s Day. New Year’s Day’s pickup will take place on Saturday, January 2. Discarded Christmas trees will be picked up as part of the regular garbage and recycling collection schedule in January. Trees must be free of decorations and not wrapped in plastic bags.
Free family fun in Ottawa
Are you are looking to have some FREE family fun on this last weekend before school and work resumes? Here are some great ideas:
- Go public skating at any of the City’s 29 indoor arenas, where RBC has funded free skating on Saturdays and Sundays until Spring 2016
- Enjoy one of Ward 5 outdoor community rinks
- Head down to the Rink of Dreams at Ottawa City Hall or the Lansdowne Park skating court
- Take your toboggan to one of the City’s 56 approved sledding hills
Before attending the ice rinks or sledding hills, check ottawa.ca for hours of operation, schedules and last-minute closures.
Happy New Year!
My wife Maha, my staff and I would like to extend a very Happy New Year to the residents of Ward 5! Let’s keep our roads safe – if you are out and about celebrating the New Year, please do not drink and drive.