Rural Shopper’s Bus
I’d like to remind West Carleton residents that you have a convenient way to get into town for shopping, appointments and more. OC Transpo operates Route 203 on Wednesdays. It is free to ride and is a fully accessible bus. It travels from Dunrobin and Carp to Stittsville, Kanata Centrum, Bayshore, Lincoln Fields and Carlingwood shopping centres. On the afternoon return trip it visits the same stops in reverse order. For more information visit octranspo.com/routes/rural_shoppers_bus.
Every winter we hear stories of accidents and mishaps on our snowmobile trails. The Ottawa Police note that snowmobiling accidents and fatalities often involve alcohol, unsafe ice, excessive speed and riding outside trails. Please consider these safety precautions when heading out on the trails:
- Machines should be carefully checked before heading out,
- Snowmobiles should have all required permits and insurance,
- Proper gear should be worn including an approved helmet,
- Always ride with a partner,
- Stay on approved trails and do not trespass,
- The maximum speed on trails is 50 km/h and 20km/h where posted,
- Plan routes and advise someone of travel plans and arrival times,
- Carry a cell phone and GPS,
- When riding across ice, wear a floatation device or a floater suit,
- Watch out for obstacles on trails such as trees, branches, trail washouts and snow banks,
- Pedestrians and snowmobilers should be respectful of each other and share the trails,
- Snowmobilers should slow down when passing pedestrians,
- Pedestrians should move off to the side of the trail to allow snowmobiles to pass by safely, and
- Dogs must be leashed at all times while on the trails (as stipulated in The Animal Care and Control By-Law No. 2003-77, dogs are never allowed to run at large when off the owner’s property).
Let’s have a fun and safe snowmobiling season!
Extending my food drive for WCFAC
I have extended my annual food drive for the West Carleton Food Access Centre (WCFAC) until December 23. WCFAC is in need of donations year-round, and especially at this time of year as they prepare Christmas hampers for needy families in our community. If you can help, please drop off non-perishable items at my ward office at 5670 Carp Road, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.