Column: Jul 14, 2016

Rural Association Partnership Program

Rural fairs, farmers’ markets and rural business organizations such as Chambers of Commerce or Business Improvement Areas, are eligible for funding of up to $7,500 through the City of Ottawa’s Rural Association Partnership Program (RAPP). Applications are being accepted until Friday, August 19 at 4pm. The objectives of the RAPP are:

  • To provide project based funding that supports the main priorities for rural organizations,
  • To contribute to the City’s rural economic health by supporting projects that will assist Ottawa’s rural business organizations, fairs and farmers markets achieve sustainability and capitalize on the proximity to Ottawa’s large urban market,
  • To assist in promoting Ottawa’s rural identity,  
  • To provide economic benefits to small and medium sized enterprises in Ottawa’s rural communities,
  • To assist rural communities to overcome the business development challenges associated with smaller local population base, and
  • To increase the capacity for rural communities to provide a quality visitor experience.

Prospective RAPP applicants are encouraged to contact the Rural Affairs Office at or 613-580-2424 ext. 25488 to discuss their proposal prior to submitting an application.

Coach Houses Proposal

The City of Ottawa is proposing to permit Coach Houses, small accessory dwelling units in the backyards of residential properties. Learn more here.  The City has reviewed and considered all the feedback received during recent public consultation outreach sessions, and are now proposing amendments to the Zoning By-law and Official Plan to permit coach houses. Read the proposed Official Plan and Zoning Amendments. Residents are encouraged to send comments to for consideration in the Staff Report to Committee and Council by e-mail before July 22, 2016.

Open air fires – Don’t forget your permit

Prior to setting an open air fire residents are required to get a burn permit and should contact Ottawa Fire Services at 613-580-2880 to confirm that a fire ban is not in effect. The West Carleton Client Service Centre, at 5670 Carp Road, issues Open Air Fire Permits on Wednesdays from 8:30am-4:30pm. Permits and can also be obtained at the Carp Fire Station, 475 Donald B. Munro Drive, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 8:30am-4pm. For more information about open air fire permits and regulations, please refer to the Burn Permit webpage.