West Carleton Community Support Services
The Western Ottawa Community Resource Centre (WOCRC) runs community service centres in Fitzroy Harbour and Constance Bay, which offer the following services to older adults with a physical disability in Ward 5 to help them live independently in their communities:
- Low-cost transportation coordination for rural residents with KOA, K7S and K2K postal codes;
- Meals on Wheels delivery;
- Local volunteer opportunities, and
- Information and referral services.
The Fitzroy centre is open Tuesdays and Wednesdays at Bethel-St. Andrew's United Church (184 Jack Lougheed Way) and the Constance Bay centre is open Mondays and Thursdays at the Constance & Buckham's Bay Community Centre (262 Len Purcell Dr.) The programming at both locations for March and April 2017 is posted on eliel-chantiry.ca under the “Latest News” section of the homepage.
Stage 2 Light Rail Transit Project
On February 17 plans were announced to move forward with the Stage 2 Light Rail Transit Project. City Staff provided a related report on Stage 2 LRT (which was tabled at the Finance and Economic Development Committee on February 24, and goes before City Council on March 8 for final approval). The announcement proposes an expansion of the Stage 2 LRT Project in order to extend light rail as follows:
- Confederation Line West: beyond Bayshore to Moodie Drive, and southwest to Algonquin College;
- Confederation Line East: beyond Place d’Orleans to Trim Road;
- Trillium Line extension to Bowesville and Riverside South; and
- An Airport Rail Link from South Keys Station on the Trillium Line.
Upon approval of this report by Council, the project goes to market later this winter. A final report will be brought forward in early 2018 outlining the results of the procurement process, leading to the final design and beginning of construction. More detailed information on the announcement can be found on ottawa.ca.
Spring/Summer registration starts soon
Registration for spring and summer recreation programs begins soon:
- Swimming & aqua fitness programs: Register online and by phone (613-580-2588) starting Monday, March 6 at 9pm, or in person Tuesday, March 7 during regular business hours
- All other recreation programs/summer camps: Online and by phone (613-580-2588) starting Wednesday, March 8 at 9pm or In-Person Registration on Thursday, March 9 during regular business hours.
The recreation e-guide can be viewed on ottawa.ca.