Happy New Year!
My wife Maha and I want to wish you a safe and Happy New Year!
I would like to thank residents who generously donated to my Christmas food drive in December. The many contributions received helped the West Carleton Food Access Centre fulfill the demand during the holiday season. Please remember, WCFAC are in need of non-perishable food donations year-round and will gratefully accept your donations at any time. They are located at the West Carleton Community Complex, 5670 Carp Road.
Nominate an Outstanding Young Farmer for 2018
Ontario’s Outstanding Young Farmers Program (OOYF) is designed to recognize farmers and farm couples who exemplify excellence in their profession. Anyone can nominate a young farmer/farm couple for the regional recognition award and title of Ontario's Outstanding Young Farmer as long as they meet the following program eligibility requirements:
- Must be between the ages of 18 and 39
- Be farm operators
- Derive a minimum of two-thirds of their income from farming
Nominations are due by January 15th, 2018 and are available at www.oyfontario.ca/nominations.html.
Safety first on snowmobile trails
Every winter we hear stories of accidents and mishaps on our snowmobile trails. Please consider these safety precautions when heading out on the trails:
- Machines should be carefully checked before heading out,
- Snowmobiles should have all required permits and insurance,
- Proper gear should be worn including an approved helmet,
- Always ride with a partner,
- Stay on approved trails and do not trespass,
- The maximum speed on trails is 50 km/h and 20 km/h where posted,
- Plan routes and advise someone of travel plans and arrival times,
- Carry a cell phone and GPS,
- When riding across ice, wear a floatation device or a floater suit,
- Watch out for obstacles on trails such as trees, branches, trail washouts and snow banks,
- Pedestrians and snowmobilers should be respectful of each other and share the trails,
- Snowmobilers should slow down when passing pedestrians,
- Pedestrians should move off to the side of the trail to allow snowmobiles to pass by safely, and
- Dogs must be leashed at all times while on the trails (as stipulated in The Animal Care and Control By-Law No. 2003-77, dogs are never allowed to run at large when off the owner’s property).
For information on our trails, visit the West Carleton Snowmobile Association's website at wcstai.com.