Column: April 9, 2018

Apply Now for Grants through the Ottawa Rural Clean Water Program

The Ottawa Rural Clean Water Program (ORCWP) provides funding to landowners and non-profit organizations for projects that protect surface water and groundwater quality.
Grants of up to $15,000 are available for 18 kinds of projects related to nutrient management, soil protection, water management, land stewardship, and education and innovation. The next application deadline is May 1, 2018.

Farmers from rural and urban Ottawa along with landowners within rural Ottawa are eligible to apply. Approved applicants must complete a 3rd or 4th Edition Environmental Farm Plan (farm projects), or Healthy Home Guidebook (non-farm projects). Canadian Organic Certification is also accepted for some farm projects. Non-profit organizations can apply for education and innovation projects.

Applications will be accepted through the LandOwner Resource Centre. They can be contacted at 613-692-3571 or toll free at 1-800-267-3504 ext. 1136. Visit to see a full list of eligible projects and to download an application form.

Dunrobin Community Centre – spring/summer special needs sporting programs

The Dunrobin Community Centre now has its spring and summer sporting programming for special needs open for registration. All ages and stages are welcome!

  • Ball Hockey: runs Saturdays, 9am-10am, April 28 to June 2. Cost $45
  • Tennis/Basketball: runs Wednesdays, 6pm-6:45pm, April 11 to May 16. Cost $45
  • Soccer: runs Wednesdays, 6pm-7pm, May 23 to July 25. Cost $45.

For more information and to register, please visit or email

Open-Air fire permits available online

Open-air fire permits are now available for purchase online. Through the MyServiceOttawa portal on, clients can apply for and renew an annual, annual restricted, and annual agricultural permit(s) online. All existing in-person services at client service centres and rural fire administration offices will remain the same.

Reporting potholes, mailbox/lawn damage

Thank you to residents who email and/or call my office directly to let me know about potholes on area roads, and when mailboxes or lawns have been damaged by passing snowplows. Alternatively, residents can also call 3-1-1, or report the issue online on the City of Ottawa website.