Column: May 26, 2016

Mayor’s Rural Expo & Food Aid

The annual Mayor’s Rural Expo and Food Aid BBQ is taking place at Ottawa City Hall on Thursday, June 2. This event helps urban residents learn more about what rural Ottawa has to offer. If your organization wishes to participate in the Rural Expo, please contact the Rural Affairs Office at or 613-580-2424 x25488. The Food Aid BBQ will help the Ottawa Food Bank raise the necessary funds to sustain its food programs and support local farmers.

Doors Open Ottawa

There are more than 120 buildings participating in this year's edition of Doors Open Ottawa. On June 4 and 5, the public will have access, at no charge, to many buildings in the Ottawa region. For full event details including a listing of participating buildings visit

Make sure to get your Burn Permit

Before you start an open air fire, make sure you obtain a burn permit. Open Air Fire Permits can be obtained at any City of Ottawa Client Service Centre. The West Carleton Client Services Centre at 5670 Carp Road, issue permits on Wednesdays, 8:30am-4:30pm. Permits can also be obtained on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Rural Fire Administration Office, Carp Fire Station, 475 Donald B. Munro Drive, 8:30am-4:30pm. Please contact the office in advance (613-580-2424 x32260) to ensure someone is available to assist you.

City warns residents of phoney water sales pitches

Residents are asked to be vigilant of door-to-door salespeople making false claims about the quality of City drinking water. The City has received complaints from residents who have been contacted by salespeople of water filtration or treatment systems who are providing incorrect information about water quality. Residents are also reminded that:

  • City employees do not contact residents to sell products or services,
  • Except for emergency situations, any visits that may require access to homes or businesses by City staff are scheduled in advance,
  • Residents are provided with advance notice of projects that may impact them; and
  • All employees requesting access to homes have City-issued photo identification cards.

If you have any concerns, contact 3-1-1 and/or report suspicious visits to the Ottawa Police Service, 613-236-1222.