Column: August 8, 2019

Garbage collection issues in Ward 5

Over the past couple of weeks, since the Waste Management facility on Westbrook Road experienced a small fire which affected some of the fleet of collection vehicles, there have been some ongoing issues with garbage pickup in Ward 5. The City is working with the contractor to meet our service standards and will continue to be following the City’s Contract Administration Policy to continue to keep Waste Management accountable. In the meantime, the contractor is bringing in additional trucks, mechanics, drivers, and logistics people to help meet the current demand. Please call 3-1-1 if your garbage is not collected on schedule.

Culvert replacement - Rochon Way

Rochon Way, from Dunrobin Rd. to O’Hara Dr. will be closed from August 12 to 16 (weather permitting) to complete a culvert replacement. Notification signs will be posted and local/emergency vehicle access will be maintained.

Culvert replacement - Kilmaurs Side Rd.

Kilmaurs Side Road will be closed between Woodkilton Rd. and Dunrobin Rd., beginning August 6 for a period of three weeks (weather permitting). The closure is required for the replacement of an existing bridge culvert. Detours will be in place and only local traffic access will be available.

Speeding on our roads

My office receives frequent calls from residents regarding speeding on our roads. Residents need to contact the police directly at 613-236-1222 ext.7300. All complaints received by the police are entered into their system and tracked, allowing them to monitor and identify problem areas, so that enforcement may be assessed.

Calls for service

I am frequently ‘tagged’ in Facebook posts on my personal Facebook page, from residents who are posting various concerns relating city services (road maintenance, potholes, by-law, garbage collection, etc.). I need to reiterate that just because a resident has tagged me in their post, does not mean it will be seen right away or actioned. My Facebook account is personal account. It is not monitored 24-7 and my staff do not access this account, so any city related concerns posted may not be addressed in a timely manner. Instead, resident should do one of the following:

• Call 3-1-1

• Complete an online service request via ServiceOttawa on

• Contact me directly at