Column: May 7, 2018

Open air fire ban lifted

Ottawa Fire Services (OFS) has now lifted the burn ban that was in place in the City of Ottawa. Remember, City of Ottawa residents must obtain an Open Air Fire Permit (Burn Permit) in order to have an open air fire. Prior to setting an open air fire, you must first contact the OFS Communications Centre at 613-580-2880. You can now renew your existing or apply for a new Open Air Fire Permit online, by going to your MyServiceOttawa account. You can also get your permit by mail (via your annual renewal form provided in 2017) or in person at any of the City's Client Services Centres and Rural Administration Offices. In Ward 5, you can purchase your permit at:

  • Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Carp Fire Station (475 Donald B. Munro Dr.) between 8:30am and 4pm. Their phone number is 613-580-2424, ext. 32260.
  • Wednesdays at the West Carleton Client Service Centre (5670 Carp Rd.) between 8:30am and 4:30pm.

Older Adult Plan 2019-2022

The City is planning for its third Older Adult Plan. Please go and fill out the online survey to tell us what you think is important for older adults living in Ottawa. Residents have until May 20 to respond to the survey.

Premier's Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence program

May 25, 2018 is the application deadline for the Premier's Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence program. This program was created to recognize the spirit of innovation that thrives in Ontario’s agricultural sector. It encourages the development of rural communities, farms, agri-food processors and agri-food organizations by adding value to existing products, creating jobs and driving economic growth. Each year the program recognizes up to 45 innovations across the province. Award recipients will receive $5,000, a plaque, gate sign and various promotional materials. In addition, there will be a Premier’s Award valued at $75,000, a Minister’s Award valued at $50,000 and three Leaders in Innovation Awards valued at $25,000 each.
Primary producers, processors and agri-food organizations are invited to submit applications. Details on eligibility, innovation categories, assessment criteria, and the application and selection process can be found in the 2018 Program Guidebook and Application Form at
Questions can be directed to the Agricultural Information Contact Centre at 1-877-424-1300 or A description of the award winning innovations by year (2006 through 2017) can be viewed at

Column: April 9, 2018

Apply Now for Grants through the Ottawa Rural Clean Water Program

The Ottawa Rural Clean Water Program (ORCWP) provides funding to landowners and non-profit organizations for projects that protect surface water and groundwater quality.
Grants of up to $15,000 are available for 18 kinds of projects related to nutrient management, soil protection, water management, land stewardship, and education and innovation. The next application deadline is May 1, 2018.

Farmers from rural and urban Ottawa along with landowners within rural Ottawa are eligible to apply. Approved applicants must complete a 3rd or 4th Edition Environmental Farm Plan (farm projects), or Healthy Home Guidebook (non-farm projects). Canadian Organic Certification is also accepted for some farm projects. Non-profit organizations can apply for education and innovation projects.

Applications will be accepted through the LandOwner Resource Centre. They can be contacted at 613-692-3571 or toll free at 1-800-267-3504 ext. 1136. Visit to see a full list of eligible projects and to download an application form.

Dunrobin Community Centre – spring/summer special needs sporting programs

The Dunrobin Community Centre now has its spring and summer sporting programming for special needs open for registration. All ages and stages are welcome!

  • Ball Hockey: runs Saturdays, 9am-10am, April 28 to June 2. Cost $45
  • Tennis/Basketball: runs Wednesdays, 6pm-6:45pm, April 11 to May 16. Cost $45
  • Soccer: runs Wednesdays, 6pm-7pm, May 23 to July 25. Cost $45.

For more information and to register, please visit or email

Open-Air fire permits available online

Open-air fire permits are now available for purchase online. Through the MyServiceOttawa portal on, clients can apply for and renew an annual, annual restricted, and annual agricultural permit(s) online. All existing in-person services at client service centres and rural fire administration offices will remain the same.

Reporting potholes, mailbox/lawn damage

Thank you to residents who email and/or call my office directly to let me know about potholes on area roads, and when mailboxes or lawns have been damaged by passing snowplows. Alternatively, residents can also call 3-1-1, or report the issue online on the City of Ottawa website.

Column: July 6, 2017

Garbage & recycling collection calendars

Hard copies of the new garbage/recycling collection calendars are available for pick up at my ward office, 5670 Carp Rd. The new calendar covers June 2017 to May 2018. The City of Ottawa’s website has a useful online tool available where residents can:

•    view, download and print the collection calendar
•    sign up for email, phone or twitter reminders
•    upload to your personal calendar (Google Calendar, Microsoft Outlook, iCal)
•    request a calendar be mailed to your home.

For more information visit

Open air fires – Don’t forget your permit

Prior to setting an open air fire, residents are required to get a burn permit and should contact Ottawa Fire Services at 613-580-2880 to confirm that a fire ban is not in effect. The West Carleton Client Service Centre, at 5670 Carp Road, issues Open Air Fire Permits on Wednesdays from 8:30am-4:30pm. Permits and can also be obtained at the Carp Fire Station, 475 Donald B. Munro Drive, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 8:30am-4pm, 613-580-2424, ext. 32260. For more information about open air fire permits and regulations, please refer to the Burn Permit webpage at

Green Acres Reforestation Program

The Green Acres Reforestation Program is looking for empty, idle fields to transform into thriving, green woodlands. If you have a minimum of one acre of suitable land and are interested in planting at least 500 trees, call 613-692-3571 or 1-800-267-3504 ext. 1175. The Green Acres Program can help with:

•    customized planting plans
•    free onsite technical advice
•    site preparation
•    ordering, handling and planting of trees
•    everything needed to make your tree planting project a success
•    signification subsidies available on all projects

Rural Root Theatre Fundraiser

Murder at Cafe Noir is a murder mystery dinner theatre staged by the Rural Root Theatre Company at the Carp Agricultural Hall, 3790 Carp Rd. It will run Friday, July 7, Saturday, July 8 and Sunday, July 9. Doors open at 6:30pm on Friday and Saturday. Show starts at 7:15pm. On Sunday, doors will open at 1pm with the show starting at 1:30pm. Tickets are $40 each and include a three-course meal. All proceeds go towards the flood relief effort in West Carleton. Tickets can be purchased by calling 613-618-9789 or via

Column: Jul 14, 2016

Rural Association Partnership Program

Rural fairs, farmers’ markets and rural business organizations such as Chambers of Commerce or Business Improvement Areas, are eligible for funding of up to $7,500 through the City of Ottawa’s Rural Association Partnership Program (RAPP). Applications are being accepted until Friday, August 19 at 4pm. The objectives of the RAPP are:

  • To provide project based funding that supports the main priorities for rural organizations,
  • To contribute to the City’s rural economic health by supporting projects that will assist Ottawa’s rural business organizations, fairs and farmers markets achieve sustainability and capitalize on the proximity to Ottawa’s large urban market,
  • To assist in promoting Ottawa’s rural identity,  
  • To provide economic benefits to small and medium sized enterprises in Ottawa’s rural communities,
  • To assist rural communities to overcome the business development challenges associated with smaller local population base, and
  • To increase the capacity for rural communities to provide a quality visitor experience.

Prospective RAPP applicants are encouraged to contact the Rural Affairs Office at or 613-580-2424 ext. 25488 to discuss their proposal prior to submitting an application.

Coach Houses Proposal

The City of Ottawa is proposing to permit Coach Houses, small accessory dwelling units in the backyards of residential properties. Learn more here.  The City has reviewed and considered all the feedback received during recent public consultation outreach sessions, and are now proposing amendments to the Zoning By-law and Official Plan to permit coach houses. Read the proposed Official Plan and Zoning Amendments. Residents are encouraged to send comments to for consideration in the Staff Report to Committee and Council by e-mail before July 22, 2016.

Open air fires – Don’t forget your permit

Prior to setting an open air fire residents are required to get a burn permit and should contact Ottawa Fire Services at 613-580-2880 to confirm that a fire ban is not in effect. The West Carleton Client Service Centre, at 5670 Carp Road, issues Open Air Fire Permits on Wednesdays from 8:30am-4:30pm. Permits and can also be obtained at the Carp Fire Station, 475 Donald B. Munro Drive, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 8:30am-4pm. For more information about open air fire permits and regulations, please refer to the Burn Permit webpage.

Column: Jan. 15, 2015

Open air fire permits

Effective January 20, open air fire permits for 2015 will now be available at Fire Station 64, located at 475 Donald B. Munro Drive. The office is open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30am-4pm (cash or cheque only at the fire hall). Permits will continue to be available at the Client Service Centre at 5670 Carp Rd. on Wednesdays from 8:30am-4:30pm (all forms of payment accepted). Permit renewals have been mailed out. 2014 permits are valid until January 31, 2015.

Fundraising for QCH’s Acute Care for the Elderly (ACE) Unit

I am very happy to have joined forces with seven other Ottawa-West Councillors in the “I’m an ACE Ambassador” community fundraising campaign for the Queensway Carleton Hospital (QCH).

Along with Councillors Chiarelli, Harder, Qadri, Egli, Wilkinson, Taylor and Hubley, we are asking that each household in our respective wards donate $30. The money, which would amount to a total $1.5 million contribution by Christmas 2015, will fulfill the remaining “community raised” component of the funds required to build a 34-bed Acute Care of the Elderly (ACE) Unit at QCH.
The ACE Unit is the first of its kind in Ottawa and only the second in Ontario specializing in holistic geriatric care. It will be an in-patient unit that will help meet an urgent and growing need in Ottawa for specialized acute geriatric care and enhance a philosophy focused on patient and family-centered care. ACE patients will usually have at least one other chronic disease in addition to their presenting condition making them more vulnerable to the hazards of hospitalization. The ACE approach has been shown to reduce and avoid these complications.

QCH serves one of the fastest aging populations in Canada. Over 70% of their medical in-patients are over the age of 65. The province entrusted QCH with this strategic investment by contributing close to $9 million towards the unit. QCH Foundation still needs the remaining $3 million to fund the ACE Unit. Residents can get in early by donating at

I strongly encourage each household in my ward to donate $30. The ACE Unit will benefit all of us in the future.