Column: March 21, 2019

Orphaned Wildlife

The City’s By-law & Regulatory Services (BLRS) is receiving calls regarding injured and orphaned wildlife. Please note, not all wild animals found alone without an adult are orphans. It’s common for mothers to leave their babies in the nest/den while they forage for food. In most cases, these mothers will return to their young. If you find a baby wild mammal on its own, contact the Rideau Valley Wildlife Sanctuary first before calling 3-1-1 (613-258-9480 or Do not attempt to move the animal from its den/nest or to feed it. If you have already touched the animal, return it to where it was found. It’s a myth that the mother will reject her babies if they have been touched. Please note BLRS only responds to calls about injured or sick small wild animals.

Reporting potholes

If you see potholes on our roads, please call 3-1-1, or report it online at You will receive a service request number making it easier to track for follow up, and your request will be sent to the appropriate department for action.

Mailbox damage

Occasionally mailboxes may get damaged by passing snow plows. Mailboxes will be repaired or replaced as determined by the City’s Roads Department Supervisor. Mailboxes damaged by the snow that comes off the wing of the snow plow will not be eligible for repair or replacement. Mailboxes will be replaced by something basic. Damaged posts will be replaced by a temporary one with permanent repairs undertaken after the frost is gone. To report a damaged mailbox, call 3-1-1 or report it via

Spring Cleaning the Capital

Early bird registration is open for the City’s Spring Cleaning the Capital Campaign. Participants can register their cleanup projects by calling 3-1-1 or by using the online registration form available at This is also an excellent opportunity for high school students to earn some community volunteer hours.


If you know a young woman between the ages 15 and 19 who is interested in a career in firefighting, please have them apply for Camp FFIT 2019 (Female Firefighters in Training). Camp FFIT will run from August 12 to 16. Deadline to apply is May 24. Go to to get all the details, including eligibility requirements and application information.

Column: April 9, 2018

Apply Now for Grants through the Ottawa Rural Clean Water Program

The Ottawa Rural Clean Water Program (ORCWP) provides funding to landowners and non-profit organizations for projects that protect surface water and groundwater quality.
Grants of up to $15,000 are available for 18 kinds of projects related to nutrient management, soil protection, water management, land stewardship, and education and innovation. The next application deadline is May 1, 2018.

Farmers from rural and urban Ottawa along with landowners within rural Ottawa are eligible to apply. Approved applicants must complete a 3rd or 4th Edition Environmental Farm Plan (farm projects), or Healthy Home Guidebook (non-farm projects). Canadian Organic Certification is also accepted for some farm projects. Non-profit organizations can apply for education and innovation projects.

Applications will be accepted through the LandOwner Resource Centre. They can be contacted at 613-692-3571 or toll free at 1-800-267-3504 ext. 1136. Visit to see a full list of eligible projects and to download an application form.

Dunrobin Community Centre – spring/summer special needs sporting programs

The Dunrobin Community Centre now has its spring and summer sporting programming for special needs open for registration. All ages and stages are welcome!

  • Ball Hockey: runs Saturdays, 9am-10am, April 28 to June 2. Cost $45
  • Tennis/Basketball: runs Wednesdays, 6pm-6:45pm, April 11 to May 16. Cost $45
  • Soccer: runs Wednesdays, 6pm-7pm, May 23 to July 25. Cost $45.

For more information and to register, please visit or email

Open-Air fire permits available online

Open-air fire permits are now available for purchase online. Through the MyServiceOttawa portal on, clients can apply for and renew an annual, annual restricted, and annual agricultural permit(s) online. All existing in-person services at client service centres and rural fire administration offices will remain the same.

Reporting potholes, mailbox/lawn damage

Thank you to residents who email and/or call my office directly to let me know about potholes on area roads, and when mailboxes or lawns have been damaged by passing snowplows. Alternatively, residents can also call 3-1-1, or report the issue online on the City of Ottawa website.