Weekly Column: May 21, 2015
Doors Open Ottawa
On June 6 and 7, 2015 residents are invited to enjoy Doors Open Ottawa. It’s free and is the perfect way to discover over 120 of the city’s historically, culturally, and functionally significant buildings. West Carleton-March is well-represented with the following buildings taking part:
- Canadian Space Services, 2336 Craig's Side Rd., Sat., June 6, 10am-4pm
- Carleton Masonic Lodge, 3704 Carp Rd., Sat., June 6, 10am-4pm
- Carp Exhibit Hall, 3790 Carp Rd., Sat., June 6, 8am-1pm
- Diefenbunker, 3929 Carp Rd., Sat., June 6, 10am-4pm and Sun., June 7, 10am-4pm
- Pinhey's Point, 270 Pinhey’s Point Rd., Sat., June 6, 10am-4pm & Sun., June 7, 10am-4pm
- St. Mary's Anglican Church, 2574 Sixth Line Rd., Sat., June 6, noon-4pm & Sun., June 7 noon-4pm
- Ward 5 Fire Stations, Sat. June 6 – 10am-4pm at the following stations:
- 3449 Old Almonte Rd.
- 475 Donald B. Munro Dr.
- 341 Bayview Dr.
- 6900 Harbour St.
For a full listing of all participating buildings across the City, visit ottawa.ca/doorsopen.
Green Acres Program
The City's Green Acres Program is looking for empty idle fields to be transformed into thriving green woodlands. It provides landowners with advice and assistance in setting up a proper planting plan for their property. Landowners must be rural property owners in the City of Ottawa, have a minimum of 0.4 hectares (1 acre) of suitable land and must agree to cover the subsidized cost of the tree seedlings, site preparation, planting and tending as well as agreeing to reasonably protect the plantation. The funding is provided to a maximum of 50% on a cost shared basis. For more information go to www.Irconline.com.
Mayor’s Rural Expo & Food Aid BBQ
The annual Mayor’s Rural Expo and Food Aid BBQ is taking place at Ottawa City Hall on Thursday, June 4. This event helps urban residents learn more about what rural Ottawa has to offer. If your organization wishes to participate in the Rural Expo, please contact the Rural Affairs Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-580-2424 x28352.
Eli's Latest Tweets
Carp Barn Dance, May 23 at Carp Fairgrounds Show-barn. Portion of ticket sales go to 4-H Ontario. Get tickets now: http://t.co/5cZ1JvyFQd